Background and Objectives
Green Roofs for Healthy Cities - North America Inc. is a non-profit 501(c)(6) industry association working to grow the green roof and wall industry throughout North America since 1999.
Green Roofs for Healthy Cities' mission is to develop and protect the market by increasing the awareness of the economic, social, and environmental benefits of green roofs, green walls, and other forms of living architecture through education, advocacy, professional development, and celebrations of excellence.
We strive to facilitate changes that will bring technologies to the forefront of high-performance restorative green building design, implementation, and maintenance. The development of the green roof and wall market requires that we:
- Research the public and private building and community-wide benefits of green roofs and walls in various cities and climate zones across North America.
- Provide value-added products and services to our membership base.
- Engage a wide variety of stakeholders and the general public on the many social, economic, and environmental benefits of green infrastructure.
- Establish cost-effective public policies to recognize the public benefits and fund the widespread implementation by helping to reduce the higher upfront capital costs.
- Develop professional training courses to facilitate excellence in green roof and wall design, implementation, and maintenance.
- Develop and manage the Green Roof Professional (GRP) accreditation to support excellence and best practices in the design, installation, and maintenance of green roofs.
- Facilitate the international exchange of information on policies, products, and research.
Board of Directors
- Matthew Barmore, Greenrise Technologies - Chair, Corporate Members
- Jeffrey Bruce, Jeffrey L. Bruce & Co, LLC - Chair
- Reid Coffman, Kent State University - Chair, Research Committee
- Ann Neil Cosby, McGuire Woods LLP - Legal Counsel
- Melissa Daniels, Plant Connection - Co-Chair, Green Walls Committee
- Joe DiNorscia, Skyland-Rooflite - Director-at-Large
- Elizabeth Hart, GRiT - Co-Chair, Green Roof Professional Committee
- Hamid Karimi, PhD, Government of the District of Columbia - Chair, Policy Committee
- Michael Krause, Kandiyohi Development Partners - Co-Chair, Green Infrastructure Foundation
- Peter Lowitt, Devens Enterprise Commission - Immediate Past Chair
- Christian Mahlstedt, Ginkgo Sustainability - Treasurer; Chair, Maintenance Committee
- Steven Peck, Green Roofs for Healthy Cities - President
- John Robinson, Sika Sarnafil - Director-at-Large