Awards of Excellence
The 2017 Green Roof and Wall Awards of Excellence submissions will be open soon.
|2014 Interior Green Wall Award
Social Sciences Building, University of Ottawa
Award Recipient: Diamond Schmitt Architects,
KWC Architects & NEDLAW Living Walls
Each year we recognize integrated design and installation excellence with the Green Roof & Wall Awards of Excellence. We also recognize outstanding contributions to the industry in research, policy, and corporate contribution. Next year's awards will be officially presented November 3, 2016 at CitiesAlive: 13th Annual Green Roof and Wall Conference in Washington, DC. Award winners will be profiled in front of hundreds of industry professionals at CitiesAlive, in the Living Architecture Monitor, and in numerous other publications.
The Green Roof & Wall Awards of Excellence program recognizes distinction in four areas:
- The Design Awards acknowledge excellence in innovative and integrative green roof and wall design and raise awareness of the multiple benefits that green infrastructure can provide clients and the general public.
- The Research Award honor individuals or groups who have made outstanding contributions to the green roof industry in research.
- The Civic Award honor individuals or groups who have made outstanding contributions to the green roof industry in policy development.
- The Living Architecture Monitor Advertising Award honors organizations who have supported the Living Architecture Monitor and employ outstanding ad design in each quarterly issue.
- The President's Corporate Award honors individuals from GRHC corporate member companies that have made a significant contribution to the green roof and wall industry.
This year there are nine design award categories for outstanding green roof and wall projects in North America. Applicants may submit more than one project for the same, or different award categories.
The Design Awards are selected by an eight-member, multi-disciplinary judging team that includes Architects, Landscape Architects, Engineers and Horticulturists. Submissions are evaluated according to a broad range of weighted criteria including aesthetic, economic, functional and ecological components.
|2013 Intensive Institutional Green Roof Award
Vancouver Island University
Award Recipient: Sharp & Diamond Landscape
To submit, download an entry form, then upload it to the online registration site. Remember that after the first two pages of the entry form, submissions must be anonymous!
The Green Roof & Wall Reseach Award honors a person or team that has published a significant green roof or green wall article in a peer-reviewed journal. The nomination process is open to any person or organization that has had an article published in a peer-reviewed journal in the past six years (2009 - 2015).
The Research Award is selected by members of GRHC’s Research Committee, Chaired by Virginia Russell, University of Cincinnati.
|2012 Extensive Institutional Green Roof Award
Center for Urban Waters, Tacoma, WA
Award Recipient: Swift Company
The Civic Award is selected by members of GRHC’s Policy Committee, Chaired by Hamid Karimi, Ph.D., Government of the District of Columbia.
To nominate either yourself or a collegue for the Civic Award, download an entry form and email it to
The Living Architecture Monitor Advertising award Award honors organizations that have secured advertising space in every issue of the Living Architecture Monitor and employ a high quality, compelling ad design.
The President's Corporate Award honors individuals from GRHC corporate member companies that have made a significant contribution to the green roof and wall industry, through support for education, advocacy, and other efforts.